Priming VS, rudder, HS spar components [6.0 hours]

Not much progress lately due to various farm and domestic distractions. I did set aside today to do some priming. There were a lot of components for the VS, rudder and HS spar assemblies, and I decided to do them all as one batch, and do the two HS spars and three skins another day (soon). There were a lot of minor setup things to take care of since this is the first time I’ll have done a significant quantity of material. A dip tank for the acid etch that I’d half made, for instance. So the actual work didn’t start until 3 pm, after which it took me 6 hours to degrease, acid etch, spray on EAP-12 and then spray on the PPG primer.

Results were good. I kept it thin for the most part. There was a lot of over spray with so many small parts, and they all jangled around a bit as I moved from piece to piece. A bit of spitting on a few parts, still learning how to best spray on the primer. Some blue bleed through in parts from the EAP-12 which I put on too thick in a few places. I mixed up 200 ml of primer for this job, and due to the small size of most of the parts, much of it wound up on the (plastic) floor of the booth.

Set up for priming VS, rudder, HS spar components

Set up for priming VS, rudder, HS spar components

VS, rudder, HS spar components primed

VS, rudder, HS spar components primed

 

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.